Dr. Eric Washington joined Bienville Orthopaedic Specialists in December 2002 He generally works out of their Pascagoula office and Singing River Hospital. Dr. Washington moved to the Mississippi Gulf Coast from St. Louis, Missouri. He had practiced orthopaedic surgery in St. Louis since 1989. Dr. Washington grew up in St. Louis and attended Christian Brothers College JROTC High School. He completed his undergraduate studies at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire and attended medical school at the University of Illinois in Chicago. He studied at the University of Illinois in Chicago for his general surgical internship and orthopaedic residency. After completing his residency, Dr. Washington returned to St. Louis where he developed a private orthopaedic practice and worked as a part-time assistant professor with the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at St. Louis University. He currently practices general orthopaedics with a special interest in hip and knee replacement, arthroscopic surgery, and sports medicine. Dr. Washington is married and his wife, Joyce, is from Columbia, South Carolina. They have four children. During his practice, Dr. Washington has continuously served on various hospital advisory and functional committees. The list of committee memberships includes peer review committees, medical executive committees, orthopaedic division chief, chairman of the surgical subspecialty committee, and trauma committee member. He currently serves as a board member for the Jackson County Chapter of the American Red Cross. In addition, Dr. Washington coaches youth in the Singing River Soccer Club in Pascagoula.
SPECIALTY: Orthopaedic Surgery
SPECIAL AREA OF INTEREST: Joint Replacement
HOSPITAL AFFILIATIONS: Singing River Hospital
EDUCATION: College-Dartmouth College, Medical School-University of Illinois, Chicago, IL; Internship-General Surgery, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL; Residency-Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
• St. Louis Orthopaedic Society 1994 – 2002
• Mound City Medical Forum, Local Subsidiary of National Medical Association 1990 – 2002 Secretary, 1990 – 1992 Second Vice-President, 1992 – 1994 First Vice-President, 1994 – 1998 Executive Committee Member, 1990 – 1998
• Champion Health Plan, P. C., 1995 – 2002 Member of the Board of Directors Only minority owned and operated multi-specialty independent physicians association in the St. Louis metropolitan area.
• American Red Cross, Jackson County Chapter, Board Member, 2004 – Present
• American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
• Mississippi State Medical Association
• American Medical Association
• Mississippi Orthopaedic Society
• Singing River Medical Society
CERTIFICATIONS: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS: Clinical Instructor - Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO August 1989 - June 2001
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS:
• Abraham, Edward; Washington, Eric; Huang, T. L.; Insall Proximal Realignment for Disorders of the Patella. Clin Ortho., 248: 61-65, 1989.
• Update on Total Joint Replacement Surgery – Lecture Meeting of the Mound City Medical Forum. April 1990, St. Louis, Missouri.
• Painful Knee Syndromes – Update on Evaluation and Management – Lecture Meeting of the Mound City Medical Forum. March 1995, St. Louis, Missouri.
• Evaluation and Treatment of Osteoporosis – Presented at Regional V Conference of The National Medical Association. April 1997, St. Louis, Missouri.
HONORS, AWARDS, ACCREDITATIONS: Top 25 African American Physicians for 2000 – 2001 in the Metropolitan St. Louis Area, St. Louis American Newspaper. Presented at the Salute to Excellence in Healthcare Awards Dinner – April 2001, St. Louis, Missouri
INTERESTS: Sports, traveling, health and fitness, boating and other water sports.
Click on the below link for more information:
Medical Minute video
Ocean Springs Office • Phone: 228-875-1849 • Fax: 228-875-6257
Biloxi Office • Phone: 228-392-9355 • Fax: 228-392-1781
Pascagoula Office • Phone: 228-762-3664 • Fax: 228-769-7015
Gulfport Office • Phone: 228-679-3001 • Fax: 228-679-3039
Lucedale Office • Phone: 228-230-2663